The God's Word Translation of the bible was produced by the God's Word to the Nations Bible Society in Cleveland, Ohio. Although many of its members were affiliated with the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (LCMS), the Society, however, has no official ties to this specific Christian denomination. The God's Word translation had its beginnings with a New Testament translation titled "The New Testament in the Language of Today: An American Translation", published in 1963 by LCMS pastor and seminary professor William F. Beck (1904-1966). Using Beck's translation as a basis for "English style", the LCMS began an entirely new Bible translation based on the best Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek texts and using the translation principle "closest natural equivalence" - beginning with the Old Testament - was completely re-translated by the Society's five scholars, 17 technical reviewers, and four English reviewers. In early 1994 the translation was named God's Word prior to being turned over to publishers in October 1994 for publication in March 1995.